Monday, December 6, 2010

J/A/S OBSESSION-Featuring the work created by Senior Fine Artists: Sandra Kurzban, Arun Balmick and Justine Delman

Sandra Kurzban
I always hoped the world would come to an end in my lifetime, preferably while I was still young. As a child I watched in reluctance as the adults around me lived their complicated and dull day-to-day lives until they finally retired or expired. Being exposed to all sorts of cheesy horror and over-the-top disaster films as I was growing up, I could only fathom this world changing so drastically at its end. I am still intrigued by the possibilities and even more intrigued by the effects they presented. Life would suddenly become all the more precious, dangers would become all the more obvious, and people would unite to face a common threat, despite their race or creed, or die alone and leave a world in turmoil behind. Albeit dark and tragic, an apocalyptic world is a romantic one. All the man-made obstacles we once had to overcome in life in the form of bills, paperwork, progress, and moneymaking would no longer exist. Life would suddenly become simple or it would simply end.


I chose printmaking to be the medium of my choice because I feel it allows me to create these apocalyptic images most effectively. Printmaking involves imagining an image first and putting the colors down, layer by layer, and I only know I am finished when the picture is clear and it makes sense. It is not far from how my imagination functions—creating a world in pieces that will eventually fit themselves together cohesively. I have always been a problem solver at heart, and nothing satisfies that in me as well as this media.

 Arun Balmick
"I like drawing, plain and simple. It’s become a regular thing for me, changing from hobby to routine. Putting a few pens in my pocket and carrying around a sketchbook or a folded up piece of paper has become a habit. On one hand, it’s largely to keep myself entertained whether I’m in class or out somewhere. On the other, it’s to keep pushing my skills. This is what makes observation so important to me; it’s the middle ground between practice and technique, documentation and storytelling. I also like to draw on my experiences and observations, mixing them with my thoughts to make a cartoon highlighting the issue rather than directly deal with it. I use drawing like a filter to help me tell stories, express ideas or even get a few laughs at my own expense."


 Jusine Delman
My opinion is my work and my opinion is what I think of when I see Japanese culture and fashion.  I have been interested in Japanese culture since I was very young and my work has always been based around it. I produce my work from many types of materials and almost all of them are wearable or sculptural.  Since my opinion is not just on the traditional culture but on the many different fashion statements, I feel that both are expressed well in wearable art or sculpture.  As Japan is a place advancing with technology it comes to a point where it crosses over to the traditional culture and to the fashion as well, which is what I display in my current work.


1 comment:

  1. Justine Delman... what a ignorant gross sociopath that child was.

    ReplyDelete